139 – Starjammed

Art by David Wynne. Prints, cards, and coffee mugs available at the shop, or contact David to purchase the original.

In which Spotlight on Starjammers is basically a RPG module; Jay may or may not have developed superpowers; artfully tattered clothing is a Summers family tradition; the Starjammers kill a planet; Raza may or may not be super progressive; and Professor X dies (again).

X-PLAINED:

• The T-Bomb
  • Spotlight on Starjammers #1-2
  • The Starjammers (more) (again)
  • Phlazers
  • Keel-hauling
  • The space plank
  • Phalkon
  • The Groff System
  • Vam & Mer
  • Cr’eee’s dubious past
  • Several really on-the-nose planets
  • Doki-Doki Universe
  • A critical comma
  • The expected endurance of the Starjammer
  • A Shi’ar imperial poop fight
  • Zenith
  • Many cameos
  • An entirely gratuitous superhero slugfest
  • Death Phoenix
  • Bald Phoenix
  • Several dropped plot threads
  • Our thoughts on ResurrXion
  • Creative teams vs. characters

NEXT EPISODE: Christmas with Cable (feat. Dennis Hopeless)!

You can find the visual companion to this episode on our blog!

We’re in the process of migrating our official shop to TeePublic! Click over to check it out! (You can still find the designs we haven’t moved yet at Redbubble.)

Buy prints of this week’s illustration at our shop, or contact David Wynne for the original!

1. HavokX says:

Hey Jay. I just wanted to let you know that Deathbird’s birth name is Cal’syee Neramani. Deathbird is actually just a title/codename

2. M says:

I now want to yell “CONTINUITY!” for some odd reason. (Probably because this series defies it so thoroughly.)

3. Ggodo says:

I actually had a Ch’ode (sp?) Action figure, and it was amazing! I loved it and I didn’t have any idea who he was.

4. ray says:

Wait a second… Is next week’s Cable actually THAT Cable? And by that I mean the start of Rob Liefied’s New-Mutants run Cable-Cable?!
    Oh, god, This is gonna be so good! I mean, it’s gonna be so bad but it’s also gonna be so good!
    Also, a start of a whole new era. So many new stuff and so much to talk about. It’s excites me in so many levels! 🙂

5. Sol says:

I looked at Wynne’s picture about five times before I realized it was a parody of the classic old Star Wars poster. Nice!

6. Kevin Gamin says:

With this episode, I have now completely caught up with this podcast, listening to every single episode from the start.

It’s going to be weird having to wait a week between episodes!

7. creepingmonsterism says:

The description of the Shi’ar as “space bird jerks” made me wonder–what if Birds Rights Activist was the Shi’ar emperor?

• Icon_UK says:

They’d make a darn sight better job of it than the last few Emperors the comics have shown.

I’m sure there’s a very salient pun I could make about unstable people in positions of power and birds making tweets, but I just can’t think of what it would be… 😉

8. Damien says:

I wonder if it came out as a limited series instead of in MCP because Terry Kavanagh took over as Editor of MCP and Marvel had a very strong policy that no-one could edit themselves. I’m definitely going to be trying to pick this one up. It sounds and looks incredible.

9. How about new characters Black Light and White Noise who call Deathbird “mother”?!

• Icon_UK says:

I did wonder if they were going to get mentioned, but I couldn’t remember if they were even introduced happened in this series (I have it somewhere in the long boxes but haven’t looked at in in decades)

• Miles says:

We talked about them, but I think it ended up on the cutting room floor. Still – weird, right? I think one of them comes back briefly later, but them being Deathbird’s kids never gets brought up again.

• Ggodo says:

Ok, No-Prize fix: Wasn’t Deathbird pregnant the last time we saw her? Something to do with all that Vulcan stuff?

She had the kids, but in the past, because Shi’Ar gestation cylces occur backwards, because of The Phoenix.

Either that or White Noise is Shi’Ar Cable and Black Noise is Shi’Ar Stryfe.

Not sure which I prefer. One is classic Summers crazy and the other sorta reminds me of Longshot being a clone of hisown son.

• Uh… White Noise is female, Black Light is male. They seem to be twins or at least close siblings.

• Ggodo says:

Maybe they fiddled with chromosomes in the cloning attempt? Like a reverse x-23?

The Stryfe bit was a super bad joke. I got a little carried away.

I do think they’re going to retcon them as Deathbird’s Time Travel Kids whenever anyone remember that Deathbird might have been pregnant before the universe got rebuilt. Of course, now that I’ve said this it won’t happen, but all it takes is a writer who is really into Shi’ar and obscue characters.

10. TheSam says:

I kind of feel sad that Bald Phoenix was explained here. I was hoping to see him mentioned in a cold open, because it really does deserve a “WHAT?!?!?!”

11. XMenXPert says:

Cr’eee’s segment is very clearly the best part of the entire story.

This wasn’t great. There were some fun bits. Carol being a hardcore badass was fun.

12. Scott Bennie says:

Merry Christmas, Cool Yule, and Happy Holidays. Thanks to everyone who reawakened my X-nostalgia gene and helped make my weeks a little brighter.

13. Gary says:

There is a Cr’eee action figure. It came with the Ch’od Toy Biz action figure. No articulation, but… look how tiny it is. No articulation should be expected.