The coolest kids in Seattle.
Jay here! Today was our Really Big Day: the live episode. O.o
BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE!
- Stumbled through the morning and managed to get in mostly on time! (Well, I did; Miles almost did.)
- If you had a coherent conversation with either David or me today, take a moment to thank AdminixtratriX Tina, who swung by shortly after opening with two enormous cups of coffee, because she is a saint/superhero.
- There was SO MUCH GOOD COSPLAY today, which is particularly cool given that we know Saturday’s generally the big cosplay day at ECCC. People who turn out turned out on weekdays impress the hell out of me.
- We did a LOT of bad X-Men sketches, and David did a lot of good ones. Also, between yesterday and today, I got Cyclops Has a Good Day sketches from the three people on my “Absolutely No Matter What” list for this show, which I will post eventually.
- At 1:00, I ran off for my first panel: “We’re not Gonna Take It: How to Deal with Harassment in the Comics Community,” with Casey Gilly, Sarah Gaydos, and Annie Bulloch, and moderated by Jack Bauer. Very low turnout, but one of the best and most productive-feeling panels I’ve ever been on: we spent an hour discussing systemic factors in harassment in the comics industry and community, and hammering out practical solutions.
- Stopped to see a bunch of friends at 312, and SUDDENLY THERE WERE SUGAR GLIDERS AND I GOT TO PET THEM AND THEY WERE TINY AND SOFT AND WONDERFUL! Also picked up a couple copies of Ma’at Crook’s absolutely lovely self-care comic/coloring book, and immediately gave one away.
- Miles and I spent most of the spare moments we could grab between panels and talking to folks at the table to hammer out a rough outline for the episode; which was good, because I spent the last 40 minutes before the panel…
- …outside with Scott Koblish, running through the cold open. I have NO IDEA what passers-by thought we were doing, but to their credit, they were very chill about it. We ended up behind an AMAZING Fury Road Crow cosplay on our way back in and so are probably in a lot of photos of it.
- THE LIVE EPISODE. OH, MY GOD. WE DID THIS THING AND IT HAPPENED! Everyone was amazing, including Al Ewing, who we ended up dragging up from the audience to explain the current state of the multiverse. The crowd was fantastic, too–100% terrific questions, and pretty much everything
- Fancy pizza + beer for dinner again; because if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. We briefly flirted with the idea of going to a couple parties, then decided to go home, take off our shoes, and finish proofing Episode 104 instead.
HERE ARE SOME PHOTOGRAPHS OF SOME STUFF!
Miles technically drew this Proletarian yesterday, but he just sent me the photo, so.
In addition to being a kickass Dazzler, Sarah is a roller-derby rock star AND the human behind our pro photos!
Someone asked us to sign their copy of The Incredible Hulk #148, which features what may be the most important character debut in Marvel history. P.S. IF YOU ARE THIS PERSON: I FOUND THAT ONE BUTTON, AND I AM HOLDING IT FOR YOU.
I HAD TO DRAW A “CYCLOPS HAS A GOOD DAY” SKETCH CARD AND I TOTALLY BLANKED. Shoemaker’s children go barefoot, and all that, I suppose. Also, I just realized his headphones don’t have a cord. Ah, well–there’s a reason we bill these as “Bad drawings of your favorite X-Man.”
THIS SUGAR GLIDER IS IMPOSSIBLY TINY AND SOFT AND WONDERFUL AND I GOT TO PET IT AND IT WAS UTTERLY MAGICAL
Our friend Tea as the King of Abs-Lantis. That is a TRAVEL TRIDENT, by the way: she’s also got a full-size one, but this one is modular so that it can fit into luggage, which kind of blows my mind.
True fact: In addition to being a really good artist, Scott Koblish is an excellent and delightful human being…
…who has also now set the high bar for the Cyclops Has a Good Day sketchbook.
And then this happened, and it was PRETTY DARN AMAZING. Left to right: Me, Miles, G. Willow Wilson, Kris Anka, Al Ewing, Scott Koblish! (Also, thank you to everyone who came; and double thanks for not spoiling to cold open online!! The rest of you can catch it live at the party tomorrow night, or when the episode goes a week from Sunday!)
Lush stuff I tried today: The Sexy Peel soap smells EXACTLY like marmalade, to the point where I kept expecting to be sticky after using it; and the Wiccy Magic Muscles massage bar is nice, but perhaps over-scented. A little goes a VERY long way. Also, this is the first con I’ve been at in ages where my hands weren’t cracking by the second day, so obviously SOMETHING is working! =D