Archive for conventions and events
Another ROSE CITY COMIC CON? And Jay and Miles are not only post-hiatus, but actually in the same city! WHAAAAT?!
Here’s what we’ll be up to:
SATURDAY & SUNDAY ONLY:
We’ll be tabling at booth CC-07 in Artist Alley, with the incomparable Ma’at Crook. Note that we’ll be a bit more subtle this year, as we’re not actually in the convention program and won’t have our Days of Future Past wall – but you can look for the folks on the podcast’s cover image! And possibly also a big X-Men-related speech bubble!
We’ll have some awesome merch for sale, including t-shirts, zines, and buttons – including awesome new 1.5″ buttons! Plus the usual bad sketches and sharpie knuckle tats, natch.
FRIDAY AFTER HOURS:
OFFICIAL 2017 PARTY & MEETUP!
WHO: Us! You! Our friends! Your friends! Kid Apocalypse!
WHAT: The 2017 PDX Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men party and meetup! All-ages hangouts! Swag! Goofy photo props! Fancy drinks! Live music and assorted tomfoolery! Fighting to protect a world that hates and fears us!
WHERE: The Steep & Thorny Way to Heaven (SE 2nd Ave. between Hawthorne and Madison – See map below)
WHEN: Friday, September 8, 7:00-10:00 PM
OTHER PERTINENT DETAILS: Cosplay encouraged! Kids welcome! No con badge required!
Steep & Thorny is a private club! To get in, let the nice person at the door know that you are there for the X-Men party!
There will be a cash bar with alcoholic (adults only, with ID) and non-alcoholic (everyone) beverages! ADULTS: Please note that this is an all-ages event. If you get drunk and disorderly, we will kick your ass out.
SATURDAY AT THE SHOW:
3:30 PM – THIS IS THE MUTANT REVOLUTION
- Join us at the intersection of comics and politics for a live episode of Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, as we discuss the mutant metaphor in modern America and why the X-Men matter more than ever!
SUNDAY AT THE SHOW:
2:30 PM – THE DEVIL’S IN THE DETAILS
- How deep can deep reading go? Join us and the host of Titan up the Defense (the world’s greatest New Teen Titans / Defenders podcast) for a dive into obsession, continuity, and the weird treasures of Marvel’s Bronze Age!
WHOA DANG ROSE CITY COMIC CON WAS SO GOOD! We met a zillion of you, and you were universally delightful! We did a ton of panels and threw a ridiculous party! And we shared a booth with the splendid Al Ewing, and he and Jay took advantage of the weird plethora of index cards we always bring to shows and spent their spare moments making minicomics, which we’ve collected here for your edutainment!
Click through for road safety, karaoke, vacuum friendship, and more!
WOOHOO IT’S SKETCH ROUND-UP TIME!
We do bad X-Men drawings for $1 at cons (although we might end up raising the price, because we spent a somewhat ridiculous amount of time on these). Here’s most of what we did at ECCC, minus a few that we forgot to photograph:
David drew a lot of really beautiful sketches and commissions, but for some reason, this is the only one we actually have a photo of:
And here are the newest additions to Jay’s Cyclops Has a Good Day sketchbook (the downside of working shows = very little time to run around and get commissions and sketches, alas!):
Jay here! It’s 1:30 AM, I’m scrambling to get Episode 104 up, and I’m dead on my feet, so I’m gonna keep this one pretty cursory.
Four days is a lot of convention. I know there are shows where it’s standard, but we really, really felt the extra day today.
- I don’t even know.
- I’m really tired, y’all.
- Some stuff happened?
- OH! There was some really great cosplay.
- And we did a bunch of sketches and forgot to take pictures of most of them.
- The end of a con is always pretty bittersweet. We’re exhausted and very ready to be home, but we also had an amazing time and saw (and made!) a lot of very dear friends who we will now miss dreadfully!
- Speaking of which, we have to send David back to the UK tomorrow, and that sucks, because he’s awesome. Someone invent safe and affordable teleportation now, please.
- Ooh, maybe I should do a con highlights list! Yeah, I’m gonna do that.
ECCC 2016 HIGHLIGHTS:
- MEETING YOU! We know our listeners are awesome, but, man, nothing drives that point home like meeting you in person. You are universally delightful. One of you brought Miles beer.
- Meeting creators! Scott Koblish is a national treasure, y’all. Also, apparently a lot of people whose work we really, really love listen to the show; which is both awesome and intimidating as hell.
- Seeing old friends and meeting new. Man, we’re going to miss you so much.
- THE LIVE SHOW. Oh. My. God.
- The Hamilton cold open actually gets its own list item, because I am incredibly proud of that ridiculousness, and because Scott Koblish is–again–a national treasure; because he not only dove headfirst into that ridiculousness, but did it again the next night at our birthday party while standing on a chair.
- SPEAKING OF WHICH, our 2nd birthday party was so damn fun. Phoenix comics was amazing! You were amazing! The cake was amazing! Going to a bar and sitting down and eating non-cake afterwards and talking until stupid o’clock was amazing!
- Okay, look, this is my favorite show. (Sorry, RCCC: you’re lovely and our hometown con, but ECCC got a seven-year head start working its way into my heart.) I know the people who run it. I know a ton of people who go. I know the city, and I have a great place to crash, and basically I love ECCC and I love all of you and this has been a nonstop-amazing four days. Thank you. So much.
- I’m going to borrow some words from David, who’s already said it far better than I can at this point: “All in all, ECCC has been an amazingly fun adventure full of life affirming positivity. I keep wanting to do a (series of) tweet(s) acknowledging all the great people I’ve met this weekend, but there are just too many. I would inevitably forget someone, so it’s better if I don’t do it. Just know: if I spent time with you, I’m glad I did, you are awesome.”
AND HERE ARE A FEW PHOTOGRAPHS FROM TODAY:
(We didn’t try any new Lush stuff today. Also, I think we accidentally left a bunch of it back in Portland. Maybe I’ll fold the rest into the roundups of cosplay and sketches later this week…)