On September 4, we’ll be sitting down to record our 2016 Giant-Size Summer Special and second-ever tabletop episode.
In 2015, game writer and designer and friend of the podcast Logan Bonner has modified the amazing old Marvel Super Hero Adventures game to be played as it was never intended: in the spirit of the 90s animated series! This year, he’s joining us again–this time with an adventure set in the world of X-Men: Evolution!
In addition to Logan, we’ll be joined at the gaming table by two guests: returning X-Pert Max Carleton of Waiting for the Trade and I Love Television; and writer, developer, and all-around badass Crystal Frasier!
But first, we’ve got a job for you…
Listen to the episode here.
It is probably okay to judge this book by its awesome cover. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Superheroes have the best anxiety dreams. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
AUGH. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
BEHIND THE SCENES: Jay keeps accidentally calling the Warwolves Whywolves. It’ll probably happen on air eventually. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Hi, Meggan! (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
The feeling of wanting to yell at Brian Braddock will be your constant and loyal companion in this series. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
THAT BEDROOM, THO (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Meggan is the nicest person ever. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Sexiest Nightcrawler! (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Gatecrasher: never not delightful. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Omniversal Majestrix Opal Luna Saturnine. You can tell she’s important because her hair is extra swoopy. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
More Technet. Look at these beautiful people. Look at them. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
London takes fancy-dress parties seriously. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Sexiest Nightcrawler stars in the Sexiest Intervention. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
“No sense moping. I’m gonna manifest a cosmic force and start dressing like I’m on Dynasty.” (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
BLIX! JRBL! VOOTIE! Your argument is invalid. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
The True Meaning of Christmas. (Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn)
Elle casts Excalibur
Captain Britain – Richard Madden
Megan – Hannah Murray
Shadowcat – Isabelle Fuhrman
Phoenix – Karen Gillan
Nightcrawler – Danny Pudi
Saturnyne/Courtney Ross/etc – Natalie Dormer
(Seriously, though, can we all just take a moment to think about Daveed Diggs as Nightcrawler? -J)
Elle casts Technet (and Alistaire Stuart):
Gatecrasher – Kathy Bates
Scatterbrain – Cara Delevingne
China Doll – Tristan Risk
Ferro – Ray Park
Thug – Hornswoggle
Alistaire Stuart – Arthur Darvill
It’s your very own printable Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau Award for Excellence in X-Cellence! GO, YOU!
Jay knew the Blingee account they had registered to add sparkles to Dazzler covers and photos of Nolan North would come in handy again someday!
THE 2015 SUPER DOCTOR ASTRONAUT PETER CORBEAU AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN X-CELLENCE
- Best X-Writer – Dennis Hopeless
- Best X-Artist – Mike Norton
- Best X-Colorist – Jordie Bellaire
- Best Soap Opera – Inferno
- Irene Adler Award for Most Anticipated Upcoming Book or Series – X-Men ’92 ongoing
- Harvey and Janet Award for Best Walk-On – Falcon Pirate (Wolverines #1)
- About Damn Time – Iceman comes out (All-New X-Men #40 and X-Men #600)
- Cyclops Has a Good Day Award – Uncanny X-Men #600
- Shameless Pandering – X-Men ’92
- MetaCorbeau for Exemplary Use of Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau in a Comic Book – Al Ewing (Mighty Avengers #8)
- Best Ongoing X-Series – X-Force (w: Si Spurrier; a: various)
- Rising Star – Wolverine (Laura Kinney)
- Best Withering Sneers* – Kristafer Anka
- The Didn’t-Fit-Into-Any-Other-Categories-and-Isn’t-Technically-an-X-Book-but-We-Wanted-to-Give-It-an-Award-Anyway Award – Siege (w: Kieron Gillen, a: Filipe Andrade)
- Still the Best Listeners of Any Podcast, Ever – YOU. Again.**
*Kris Anka owns this category so thoroughly that, in the name of fairness, he will be disqualified starting in 2016; at which point the name of this category will officially change to the Kristafer Anka Award for Best Withering Sneer in an X-Book.
**Seriously. We may be a wee bit biased; but honestly, you’re just wildly unfair to the competition.
CLASSIC CORBEAUS (for older X-material covered in the podcast during 2015)
- Buried Treasure – Fallen Angels
- You Tried – Magneto (New Mutants)
- Jack Kirby Award for Best Intersection of Weird and Epic in a Single Character Design – Walter Simonson (Archangel, X-Factor)
- Improbably Endearing Moppet – Franklin Richards
- High Bar Award – Bill Sienkiewicz (New Mutants)
- Most Heroic Hair – Alan Davis
- Most Organized Supervillain – Cameron Hodge
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR AMAZING GUEST X-PERTS:
- KYLE YOUNT
- LOGAN BONNER
- ELLE COLLINS
- CHRIS SIMS
LINKS & FURTHER READING:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher |
In which Jay and Miles finally X-Plain some Excalibur; Kyle interviews the X-Perts; Logan gets up-close and personal with the X-Men; Elle casts Excalibur; Chris X-Plains Santa Claus; and you are still the best listeners of any podcast, ever.
- Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn
- Christmas at the X-Mansion
- The best hair in the Marvel Universe
- The not particularly secret origins of Excalibur
- Mojoverse anxiety dreams
- Captain Britain (Brian Braddock)
- Sexiest Nightcrawler
- Technet (and several of its members)
- Omniversal Majestrix Opal Luna Saturnine
- The Special Executive
- Mutant intersectionality
- Why we chose the X-Men
- Favorite X-Spinoffs
- Our podcast-guest wish list
- The theoretical cast of an Excalibur movie
- Our ideal X-lineups
- Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men
- The Second Annual Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau Awards for Excellence in X-Cellence
- Marvel Holiday Special 1991
- Santa Claus
- The true meaning of Christmas
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog
Find us on iTunes or Stitcher!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy prints of this week’s illustration at our shop, or contact David Wynne for the original!
If you want to try your hand at the adventure we played through in Episode 62, Logan’s given us a PDF of the whole shebang, along with a full complement of character sheets!
It’s worth noting that Logan originally designed this a) as a two-part story, and b) for a slightly different party than we ended up playing; so what you see in the written version won’t match up exactly with what you heard on the podcast. This module was written for the 1998 Marvel Superheroes Adventure Game, and to play it properly, you’ll need a set of the cards from that game, as well as either a working understanding of the rules or a core sourcebook.
Click through below to download the adventure!
X-Men: The Animated Saga 6-1 & 6-2: “Down Under”
You are amazing. It has been a pretty rough week all around, but every time we opened our e-mail, we were surprised by yet another piece of rad art from you.
You are the wind beneath our neurotoxic, bladed wings.
Click through for Carrotstorms, Draculas, 8-bit Madelyne Pryor (!!!), and more…