In which the back-up stories of Atlantis Attacks are way better than the main event; the Serpent Society is hilarious; Longshot finds a rock; the S.U.R.F.E.R.S. are no Neutrinos; our volume of digressions is inversely proportional to our investment in this crossover; Jay overthinks sunglasses; and somehow we still aren’t entirely done with Inferno.
- Leonard McKenzie
- Princess Fen
- Tiger Shark
- A dubious crossover event and three splendid backup stories
- The best thing in Marvel Puzzle Quest
- Atlantis Attacks
- Uncanny X-Men Annual #13
- New Mutants Annual #5
- X-Factor Annual #4
- Homo mermanus
- The Serpent Society
- Why snakes don’t wear vests
- The Maple Hill Farm books
- The Horn of Doom (again)
- Impractical swimwear
- Surf, or S.U.R.F.E.R.S., or whoever the hell they are
- Zak and the Neutrinos
- The trouble with mobile landmarks
- A case of mistaken identity
- The true meaning of something, probably
- Ralph Macchio, but not that Ralph Macchio
- Circumstances in which it is acceptable to throw a small child down an elevator shaft
- The definitive Boom Boom
- Eligible gentlemen of the Marvel Universe
- Boom Boom Von Doom
- A false dichotomy
- Sally Pashkow
- A really great outfit
- Presidencies rated by X-Books
- Best and worst moral inversions
NEXT WEEK: Mojo Mayhem!
ART CHALLENGE: Send your best Boom Boom romance stories, covers, and pin-ups to xplainthexmen(at)gmail.com by SEPTEMBER 15, with the subject line BOOM BOOM RULES.
NOTE: In this episode, Jay briefly confused two Marvel villain teams: the Serpent Society (snake-themed villains); and the Sons of the Serpent, also known as the Serpent Men (hate group). We would like to offer our apologies to the Serpent Society, who are ridiculous but not, as far as we know, racist.
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!