Listen to the podcast here!
Tag Archive for Titan Up the Defense
In which Lisa Winters pinch-hits for Jay, we take a trip to the newspaper funnies and back, Spider-Man and Beast are natural BFFs, nothing good ever happens at the Brand Corporation, and “mutant” can be a pretty fuzzy concept.
- Bessie the Hellcow
- Spider-Man: Mutant Agenda (the newspaper strip storyline)
- Spider-Man: Mutant Agenda (the comic book miniseries)
- Spider-Man: Mutant Agenda (the cartoon episodes)
- Four-color hoards
- Three-panel newspaper comic structure
- Sunday strips (and their Mark Trail deceptions)
- Hero Jaws – a breakfast-based theory
- Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
- The Brand Corporation
- The Beast (Henry McCoy)
- Narratively convenient Spider Sense
- Hobgoblin (Jason Macendale Jr.)
- Goblin gliders
- Picket signs (*air horn sound*)
- Finger blasters (heh)
- Laser cages
- Arcade’s superpower flowcharts
- Mutants: newspaper versus comic continuity
- Coming home to the 90s
- Lisa’s favorite X-Man
- Beast’s versatile character design
- Spider-to-X ratios
- Dark, tortured heroes
- Herbert Landon’s selective memory
- Confirmation bias
- Anti-mutant cancer goo
- Ironic reversals
- Wolverine, the most marketable mutant
- Evil British accents
- The most adaptable Spider-Man / X-Men crossovers
- The X-Men and the newspaper funnies
NEXT EPISODE: X-Factor mourns and moves on.
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy rad swag at our TeePublic shop!
Another ROSE CITY COMIC CON? And Jay and Miles are not only post-hiatus, but actually in the same city! WHAAAAT?!
Here’s what we’ll be up to:
SATURDAY & SUNDAY ONLY:
We’ll be tabling at booth CC-07 in Artist Alley, with the incomparable Ma’at Crook. Note that we’ll be a bit more subtle this year, as we’re not actually in the convention program and won’t have our Days of Future Past wall – but you can look for the folks on the podcast’s cover image! And possibly also a big X-Men-related speech bubble!
We’ll have some awesome merch for sale, including t-shirts, zines, and buttons – including awesome new 1.5″ buttons! Plus the usual bad sketches and sharpie knuckle tats, natch.
FRIDAY AFTER HOURS:
OFFICIAL 2017 PARTY & MEETUP!
WHO: Us! You! Our friends! Your friends! Kid Apocalypse!
WHAT: The 2017 PDX Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men party and meetup! All-ages hangouts! Swag! Goofy photo props! Fancy drinks! Live music and assorted tomfoolery! Fighting to protect a world that hates and fears us!
WHERE: The Steep & Thorny Way to Heaven (SE 2nd Ave. between Hawthorne and Madison – See map below)
WHEN: Friday, September 8, 7:00-10:00 PM
OTHER PERTINENT DETAILS: Cosplay encouraged! Kids welcome! No con badge required!
Steep & Thorny is a private club! To get in, let the nice person at the door know that you are there for the X-Men party!
There will be a cash bar with alcoholic (adults only, with ID) and non-alcoholic (everyone) beverages! ADULTS: Please note that this is an all-ages event. If you get drunk and disorderly, we will kick your ass out.
SATURDAY AT THE SHOW:
3:30 PM – THIS IS THE MUTANT REVOLUTION
- Join us at the intersection of comics and politics for a live episode of Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, as we discuss the mutant metaphor in modern America and why the X-Men matter more than ever!
SUNDAY AT THE SHOW:
2:30 PM – THE DEVIL’S IN THE DETAILS
- How deep can deep reading go? Join us and the host of Titan up the Defense (the world’s greatest New Teen Titans / Defenders podcast) for a dive into obsession, continuity, and the weird treasures of Marvel’s Bronze Age!