Listen to the episode here.
LINKS & FURTHER READING:
- Special thanks to the Vegas Valley Comic Book Festival–and in particular to Andy and Suzanne–for a fantastic con, and for hosting our second-ever live episode!
- Comics Alliance collects the month’s most depressing Funky Winkerbean strips over at FunkyWatch.
- If you haven’t seen the 1980 Flash Gordon movie, you should, because it is spectacular. Not good, mind. But spectacular.
- While we’re on a Queen kick, here’s a really kickass live Queen cover album by Jay’s favorite band.
- The Secret Convergence on Infinite Podcasts is running through the end of this month! For updates, follow the Convergence on Tumblr and Twitter!
In which we travel back in time to 1979 for our second live convention special; X-Men Annual #3 desperately needs a Queen soundtrack; George Perez draws great Banshee; Polemachus is kind of a bullshit planet; we dream of a world without Funky Winkerbean; Cyclops’s costume does not mix and match well; if you can be someone else, you should probably be Brian Blessed; Colossus gets a dragon; and Vegas Valley Comic Book Festival is awesome.
- X-misadventures in Las Vegas
- X-Men Annual #3
- Arkon the Magnificent
- Isadore and Irmagarde Uhman
- The Comical Books
- Polemachus the planet vs. Polemachus the person
- Funky Winkerbean
- Several logistical problems with the Danger Room
- MVP Cyclops
- Some very good visual counterpoint to dialogue
- Paperboard lightning bolt disambiguation
- Jay’s favorite Starman story
- X-title and music pairings
- Visual perspective in grand melees
- How to order a meal on Polemachus
- One specific variation on Cyclops’s powers
- The X-Men as Spinal Tap
- Space-barbarian eyewear
- The annual cabinet
- The most appropriate X-team placement for Funky Winkerbean
- Best worst characters
- Our favorite X-Force teams
- Secret Convergence on Infinite Podcasts
NEXT WEEK: Somehow, Cameron Hodge manages to get even worse.
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!