Sometimes when the world’s a trash fire, it’s hard to figure out where to start. We talk activism, figuring out how you can help, and what we’re doing to fight back against anti-LGBTQ+ legislation in Florida.
On Monday, March 28, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed HB1557–the notorious “don’t say gay” bill–into law. This bill is part of an unprecedented wave of legislation targeting queer and trans youth, with potentially deadly consequences.
Florida may be America’s favorite trash fire, but we’re not willing to give up on our home state; and we’re DEFINITELY not willing to give up on the queer and trans kids who live there.
So we’re fighting back.
All April, we’ll be raising money for Equality Florida. Between our own contributions and the generous support of anonymous donors, we’re in a position to match up to $6000 of your contributions AND offer some very cool prizes.
HERE’S WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO:
- Make a donation to Equality Florida and email the receipt to [email protected] with the subject line EQUALITY or tweet it to @xplainthexmen.
AND HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- IF YOU DONATE UNDER $25 – You’ll have our eternal love and gratitude, as well as the warm, fuzzy feeling of making a difference.
- IF YOU DONATE $25 OR MORE – We’ll thank you on the podcast. (Note: these’ll be straightforward thanks, not the silly kind we do for patrons.)
- IF YOU DONATE $50 OR MORE – Miles, who is adamantly Not an Artist, will draw you an earnest and possibly terrible social media X-avatar.
- IF YOU DONATE $100 OR MORE – We’ll record a custom voicemail greeting for you.
- IF YOU DONATE $200 OR MORE – Jay will knit you a hat.
- IF YOU DONATE $500 OR MORE – We’ll record a Hawk Talk on a subject of your choice.
Thank you, so much, for fighting with us. <3
In which Havok goes surfing; Malice eats a poodle; Strong Guy’s ex is a big jerk; Sinister’s gotta Sinister; and Miles learns about a meme.
- The Puppet Master
- X-Factor #103-105
- Comparative Summers brooding
- Perks of being a mutant geologist and/or geophysicist
- Malice and Polaris’s complicated history
- A somewhat convoluted plan
- Several reasons to go to Rhinebeck, NY
- The extended Carosella family
- Candy stripers
- Mary, who is a big jerk
- A Sinister entrance
- The Nasty Boys (more) (again)
- Karate pants
- 14-year-old Chris Gethard’s feelings about Jamie Madrox
- Ionic vampirism
- Misguided vengeance
- Pushing back against whitewashing in comics
NEXT EPISODE: Emma Frost takes a joyride
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy rad swag at our TeePublic shop!
Happy Pride! We’re donating all of June’s proceeds from our TeePublic shop –featuring all the designs above, and many more — to Trans Lifeline. (You can also donate to Trans Lifeline directly, in which case 100% of the money will go to them; but if you want to get cool J&M swag and support them at the same time, you can now do so.)