In which nothing comes between Sam Guthrie and his classic sci-fi allusions; Sunspot tries; the Beyonder is really scary; you can have Danielle Moonstar’s agency when you pry it from her cold, dead hands; Empath remains the worst kid; Tom Corsi and Sharon Friedlander just cannot catch a break; Emma Frost gets nuanced; Magneto does the wrong things for the right reasons; Rachel and Miles like liking things; and we finally wrap up Secret Wars II.
- Soulsword custody
- New Mutants #36-40
- The best Secret Wars II tie-in
- Several Beyonder-triggered crises of confidence
- A literal derailment in the midst of a metaphorical derailment
- The Greek tragedy of Illyana Rasputin
- Personal personifications of death
- Counting coup
- The death of the New Mutants
- Crossover-related PTSD
- A pep talk from a frog
- Art style as a component of narrative
- The Hellions (again)
- A completely avoidable fight
- Rachel’s definitive Emma Frost moment
- Emma Frost, Charles Xavier, and moral culpability
NEXT WEEK: The dubious debut of Apocalypse!
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Listen to the episode here!
Special thanks to Andrew Vestal for help assembling the images for this post.
In which we hit the definitive arc of New Mutants; Bill Sienkiewicz blows our minds; Rachel gets choked up over a credits spread; Rahne gets a makeover; Doug Ramsey is justifiably flustered; and Warlock is a friend to household appliances.
NOTE: This episode includes a lot of art talk. While doing so is not strictly necessary to follow the discussion, we recommend listening with the visual companion open.
- The transmode virus
- New Mutants #18-21
- The Demon Bear Saga
- Bill Sienkiewicz
- Task leaders vs. social leaders
- Page layout as a storytelling tool
- Soul armor
- The Demon Bear and its shadow
- One of the best covers of all time
- The deeply problematic fate of Tom Corsi and Sharon Friedlander
- What the New Mutants are up to these days
Next Week: Crossovers!
You can find a visual companion to the episode on our blog.
Support us on Patreon!
Last weekend, we were at new York Comic Con! And it was AWESOME! We’ll be posting stuff from there all week–including episode 27, some photos of very cool X-cosplay, and a special bonus mini-episode–but while we’re recombobulating post-travel, here’s what’s new in Rachel’s Cyclops Has a Good Day sketchbook!