In which nothing comes between Sam Guthrie and his classic sci-fi allusions; Sunspot tries; the Beyonder is really scary; you can have Danielle Moonstar’s agency when you pry it from her cold, dead hands; Empath remains the worst kid; Tom Corsi and Sharon Friedlander just cannot catch a break; Emma Frost gets nuanced; Magneto does the wrong things for the right reasons; Rachel and Miles like liking things; and we finally wrap up Secret Wars II.
- Soulsword custody
- New Mutants #36-40
- The best Secret Wars II tie-in
- Several Beyonder-triggered crises of confidence
- A literal derailment in the midst of a metaphorical derailment
- The Greek tragedy of Illyana Rasputin
- Personal personifications of death
- Counting coup
- The death of the New Mutants
- Crossover-related PTSD
- A pep talk from a frog
- Art style as a component of narrative
- The Hellions (again)
- A completely avoidable fight
- Rachel’s definitive Emma Frost moment
- Emma Frost, Charles Xavier, and moral culpability
NEXT WEEK: The dubious debut of Apocalypse!
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!