Listen to the podcast here!
In which Lisa Winters pinch-hits for Jay, we take a trip to the newspaper funnies and back, Spider-Man and Beast are natural BFFs, nothing good ever happens at the Brand Corporation, and “mutant” can be a pretty fuzzy concept.
- Bessie the Hellcow
- Spider-Man: Mutant Agenda (the newspaper strip storyline)
- Spider-Man: Mutant Agenda (the comic book miniseries)
- Spider-Man: Mutant Agenda (the cartoon episodes)
- Four-color hoards
- Three-panel newspaper comic structure
- Sunday strips (and their Mark Trail deceptions)
- Hero Jaws – a breakfast-based theory
- Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
- The Brand Corporation
- The Beast (Henry McCoy)
- Narratively convenient Spider Sense
- Hobgoblin (Jason Macendale Jr.)
- Goblin gliders
- Picket signs (*air horn sound*)
- Finger blasters (heh)
- Laser cages
- Arcade’s superpower flowcharts
- Mutants: newspaper versus comic continuity
- Coming home to the 90s
- Lisa’s favorite X-Man
- Beast’s versatile character design
- Spider-to-X ratios
- Dark, tortured heroes
- Herbert Landon’s selective memory
- Confirmation bias
- Anti-mutant cancer goo
- Ironic reversals
- Wolverine, the most marketable mutant
- Evil British accents
- The most adaptable Spider-Man / X-Men crossovers
- The X-Men and the newspaper funnies
NEXT EPISODE: X-Factor mourns and moves on.
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy rad swag at our TeePublic shop!
In which Miles and Elisabeth X-Plain Pryde of the X-Men; Magneto is somehow even worse at branding than Mystique; the X-Universe is in desperate need of responsible adults; Wolverine hates kids; everybody’s mean to Lockheed; and the Sentinels represent your feelings.
- Wolverine’s Australian accent
- Pryde of the X-Men
- X-Men / Muppet Babies analogues
- The Brotherhood of Mutant Terrorists
- How not to comfort scared teenagers
- The X-Cessible X-Men
- The Mutant Power Circuit
- Terrible parenting
- A MacGuffin
- A Really Dubious Evil Plot
- Several Additional MacGuffins
- THE POWER!
- One of many reasons to be nice to animals
- The X-Men Arcade Game
- Ground Kontrol
- X-Men: Madness in Murderworld
- The Uncanny X-Men (game)
- Metaphorical sentinels
- Mysterious lizards
- Video game mechanics vs. superhero ethics
- Pryde of the X-Men vs the ’90s animated series vs. X-Men: Evolution
- Alternate animated series hooks
NEXT WEEK: The Brood go to a revival meeting
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!