In which we hear from two generations of Stokeses for the price of one, buying comics for your son is a great way to rationalize reading them yourself, you should probably be reading The Immortal Hulk, and a 30-year comics hiatus ain’t stopping Steve.
- A well-loved copy of Fantastic Four #1
- Marvel vs. DC in the Silver Age
- Requirements for an acceptable Doctor Doom
- The perils of competitive newsstand shopping
- Comics conventions: the days before Hall H
- The Long Game
- Bill Sienkiewicz: best of the best
- The Worst Comic Book Guy
- What makes the X-books special
- The experimental storytelling of New Mutants
- The Original Five
- The Long Box (and the Easter basket)
- Contagious enthusiasm
- Returning to the Marvel Universe as a lapsed reader
- Art styles over the years
- Tragic tales of mail-order chameleons
- The joys of the mainstreaming of nerddom
- Superhero movies as message pill pockets
- Fin Fang Foom
- HoX/PoX freakouts as father/son bonding
- Acid in vampires’ faces and other childhood traumas
NEXT EPISODE: The Phalanx Covenant (finally) begins!
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy rad swag at our TeePublic shop!