Listen to the episode here.
In which what happens in space stays in space; a horse is imperiled; Joseph does some dubious science; Gladiator’s name is absolutely not Gary; everybody gets new costumes; and we learn where babies come from.
- Shi’ar taxonomy, sort of
- The Shi’ar (again)
- The Phalanx (again)
- Uncanny X-Men #341-344
- A whole bunch of callbacks to X-Men #98
- A carriage ride
- The Z’noxx chamber (again)
- One way to have safer sex
- FAO Schwarz
- The Shi’ar Imerial Guard (again)
- Diplomacy, kind of
- Space outfits
- Pure Phalanx
- Dinosaur Kingdom 2
- Where Shi’ar babies come from
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl vs. Isca the Unbeaten
- Characters we would happily voice if invited to do so
NEXT WEEK: Hawk Talk
NEXT EPISODE: Generation X vs. Black Tom Cassidy!
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Week of April 27, 2016:
In which it’s an All-Wolverine week, with bonus Squirrel Girl!
- *All-New Wolverine #7 (00:25)
- Old Man Logan #5 (05:57)
*Pick of the week (12:34)
CRITICAL UPDATE: THERE IS NOW ALSO A SONG:
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. These video reviews–and everything else here–are made possible by the support of our Patreon subscribers. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Come join us on Imzy!
Listen to the live episode here!
We are so ridiculously lucky: our hometown con is the coolest. It’s only a few years old, but Rose City Comic Con is one of the most fun, accessible, welcoming, and all-around celebratory comics shows we’ve ever been to. This was our first con as Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, and our first ever live episode; and we can’t imagine a better place to start.
Click through the gallery below for photos from the con, the panel, and the party! (We’ll toss the sketches up separately tomorrow!)
Special thanks to a LOT of people without whom the con and show wouldn’t have been possible:
- Panel Guests: Ann Nocenti, Jeff Parker, and Chris Yost
- Earth-811 Craft Department: Dave Proctor and Cameron Harris
- Everyone from Rose City Comic Con; but particularly Mikey Nielson, Ron Brister, and Paula Brister.
- Our amazing, amazing, amazing party hosts at The Steep & Thorny Way to Heaven: Megan Skye Hale and Myrrh Larsen
- Team X-Plain: Tina Abate, David Wynne, and Kyle Yount.
- The Absolute Goddamn Best: Katie Moody and Anna Sheffey.
- Last but not least: Max Carleton, Dusty Eppers, Jason Betournay, Scott Hazle, Fern, Kestrel, Jasper, and everyone who turned out to help, yell, party, and X-Plain with us at and after RCCC!
In which we record our first live episode; Rose City Comic Con is AMAZING; Ann tells us how to torture the X-Men; Jean Grey needs more friends; Chris survives an encounter with an angry vampire; Squirrel Girl sets the high bar for questions; everyone has opinions about Longshot’s hair; Jeff gets meta; Cyclops is the best at fighting Sentinels; and Rachel ALMOST gets through an entire panel without swearing.
- Cable (Nathan Summers)
- Stryfe (Also Nathan Summers)
- Rose City Comic Con
- Christopher Yost
- Jeff Parker
- Ann Nocenti
- The X-Men
- Superheroes vs. soap operas
- Continuity vs. evolution
- Updating the Silver Age
- What defines an X-book
- All of our iconic X-eras
- Close encounters of the fan kind
- The Continuiteens
- Marvel Girl and Squirrel Girl team-ups
- Narrative regrets
- How we’d end the X-Men
- X-Men best suited to professional wrestling
- Our personal mutant metaphors
- Which of the X-Men is best at fighting Sentinels
NEXT WEEK: Fallen Angels!
There’s no visual companion this week, but you can see photos from the panel, party, and more in our Rose City Comic Con roundup!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!