In which we take a break from the lead-up to Onslaught; Hannah Conover is the queen of dangling plot threads (and also of the Brood); Wolverine is the strangest angel; William Conover is the chillest minister in the Marvel Universe; and Excalibur writer Tini Howard gives us the inside scoop on Gambit’s trench coat.
- Mutant Brood
- The Brood vs. Brood X cicadas
- X-Men vs. Brood: Day of Wrath #1-2
- Theological origins of John Ostrander
- An unspoken motif in pin-up art
- Reverend William Conover (more)(again)
- Hannah Conover (more)(again)
- The Brood (more)(again)
- The Brood Empress
- The Firstborn
- Atypical Queen-Broodling power dynamics
- Brood of the future
- A strange angel
- What Gambit’s trench coat is made of
NEXT WEEK: Hawk Talk
NEXT EPISODE: The end of the Externals!
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog.
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy rad swag at our TeePublic shop!
Listen to the episode here!
LINKS AND FURTHER READING:
- For an introduction to the Brood (and one of the best Brood stories ever), listen to Episode 20 – The Brood They Carried.
- For more on Hannah Conover, check out Left Unresolved – Do the X-Men Still Have a Frozen Lady in Their Freezer?, by Brian Cronin, over at CBR.
- Here’s a pretty solid overview of the unfathomable clusterfuck of the direct market, from Heidi MacDonald at the Beat; including links to a number of other analyses from retailer and publisher perspectives.
In which the X-Men finally follow up on a dropped plotline; you should probably not mess with abandoned star sharks; “Dawn of Blood” is a sometimes food; The Goblin Queen makes her first appearance; we debut a new podcast feature; and there may or may not be a frozen woman in the Xavier School basement.
- The Providian Order
- Uncanny X-Men #232-234
- The Brood (again)
- Several ill-fated campers
- Harry Palmer
- The Brood as horror antagonists
- Why John Doggett is the best X-Files agent
- Psylocke’s armor
- Why Nestor Carbonell should play Gambit
- Some deeply dubious codenames
- Red Bee
- Michael the Bee
- Reverend William Conover and his Glory Day Crusade
- The Mile High Diner
- The strange case of Hannah Conover
- One hell of a nightmare
- A deal with a devil
- The direct market
- Ways to approach an endless serial
- Madelyne meets and strikes a deal with S’ym
- First appearance of the Goblin Queen costume
NEXT EPISODE: Evolutionary War
CORRECTION: In this episode, Jay recalled the direct market as having been conceived in significant part by Carol Kalish. It was, in fact, the brainchild of Phil Seuling.
You can find a visual companion to this episode–and links to recommended reading–on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!