Listen to the podcast here.
In which the first Magneto miniseries is actually a Joseph miniseries; Magneto lost a lot of nuance in the ‘90s; Fabian Cortez is friend to neither man nor bird; Joseph finds his inner supervillain; Marvel’s United Nations is unusually heavily armed; and bears are much cooler than guns.
- Magneto (again)
- The Acolytes (again)
- Joseph (again)
- Magneto #1-4
- Amelia Voght (again)
- Religious statuary
- New Avalon
- Magneto’s voice
- How not to make a point
- A Trask who may or may not be Simon
- Weird torture
- A big, silly fight
- Happy X-Men comics featuring Wolverine
- The many nexuses of reality
NEXT EPISODE: Assassination!
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog.
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy rad swag at our TeePublic shop!
Listen to the episode here!
In which Miles tries to find things to like about Bob Layton’s X-Factor run; Cyclops’s life is literally an anxiety dream; X-Factor is very Leverage; Layton’s Angel is just godawful; Rachel is all about the Red Scare; Frenzy is awesome; and we bid a fond farewell to producer Bobby Roberts.
- An Apocalypse that might have been
- Mid-80s X-title thematic disambiguation
- The limited value of nostalgia
- Creative history of X-Factor
- X-Factor #2-5 and Annual #1
- The baffling reinvention of Vera Cantor
- Tower (Edward Pasternak)
- Dubious didactic strategies
- Carl Maddicks
- Artie Maddicks
- Muffin the kitten
- Bad timing
- Soviet mutant policy
- Soviet robot disambiguation
- The Doppelganger (Wolfgang Heinreich)
- A ruse
- Alexei Garnov, Mentac the Living Computer, Concussion, Iron Curtain, and Siberian Tiger
- The worst phonetic accent we have ever seen.
- The Alliance of Evil
- Frenzy (Joanna Cargill)
- The color of Beast’s fur
- Our favorite X-Men toys
NEXT WEEK: Miniseries Mayhem!
Many thanks to Bobby Roberts for 57 spectacular episodes of production, advice, and boundless patience. You are the best, and we love you forever.
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
We’re not selling prints of this week’s illustration, but you can contact David Wynne for the original!