Listen to the episode here.
In which the Beast miniseries is actually a cleverly disguised Karma miniseries; Gateway’s moral alignment remains a mystery; Cannonball rocks some sideburns; there are many reasons to dislike Viper; and every #1 is somebody’s first.
- An off-panel death
- X-Force #62
- Beast #1-3
- Karma’s family and backstory (again)
- Twin absorption
- MacGuffins and/or children
- Clearcut and Mindmeld
- Spiral (again)
- What to do (visually) with six arms
- Spiral’s mutates
- Some very impressive body horror
- MId-fight stalling
- Misplaced revenge
- Hank McCoy’s multiversal offspring
- The history of Karma’s sexual orientation
NEXT EPISODE: Jay and Connor Goldsmith X-Plain X-Plaining!
Check out the visual companion to this episode on our blog.
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Buy rad swag at our TeePublic shop!
Listen to the podcast here!
LINKS AND FURTHER READING:
- Here is a video of 3-year-old X-Pert Kestrel and her brother Jasper pretending to be us.
- Here are the titles Kestrel and Jasper’s mom Katie recommends for very young X-Fans:
- These Are the X-Men is part of Disney’s World of Reading series, which also includes some books for slightly older readers, The Story of the X-Men and Days of Future Past (both recommended for ages 6-8).
- Kestrel and Jasper also love X-Men and Power Pack and X-Men: First Class, as well as the original animated series; but Katie cautions that all of those involve some adult themes you’ll need to either read around or be ready to have some challenging conversations about.
In which Secret Wars II ruins everything (more) (again) (forever); Rachel Summers hates the Beyonder almost as much as we do; Miles gets mad at comics; Nightcrawler does not do gritty well; Lady Deathstrike gets wired; and we consult our favorite 3-year-old for book recommendations.
- Rogue vs. Carol Danvers
- Life before social media
- Uncanny X-Men #202-205
- Alpha Flight #33-34
- Phoenix II vs. the Beyonder (twice)
- The Reverse Gwen Stacy
- Still more miracles of magnetism
- Kitty Pryde disambiguation
- Good times in Murderworld
- The third-worst honeymoon
- Lady Deathstrike (Yuriko Oyama)
- Spiral’s Body Shop
- The Reavers
- One way to build a Wolverine antagonist
- Skirting the Comics Code
- Sound-effects lettering as a narrative device
- Good X-books for a 3-year-old
Special thanks to Katie and Kestrel P.
NEXT WEEK: The Beyonder kills the New Mutants!
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!