While the Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau Awards for Excellence in X-Cellence* officially made their debut in last week’s Giant-Size Special, we wanted to take a moment to revisit them: the X-books, creators, and concepts that rocked our year.
Also, there is a coloring contest.
If your name–or a project to which you contributed–appears on the list below,** and you would like an actual, physical Corbeau Award to hang on your wall, please drop us a line, and we will make and mail you one. It will be beautiful and classy as hell, it will definitely involve some glitter glue.
And so, without further ado, it is out great pleasure to present:
THE 2014 SUPER DOCTOR ASTRONAUT PETER CORBEAU AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN X-CELLENCE!
- Best X-Writer – Brian Michael Bendis, for Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, and general line architecture
- Best X-Artist – Kris Anka, for Uncanny X-Men and general visual and costuming impact
- Best X-Colorist – Chris Sotomayor, for Cyclops
- Best X-Letterer (Now and Forever) – Tom Orzechowski, for everything ever forever
- Jean Grey Award for Creative Resurrection – Nightcrawler (Amazing X-Men)
- Best New Character – Forget-Me-Not (X-Men Legacy #300)
- Best Complete Arc – Cyclops #1-5, by Greg Rucka, Russell Dauterman, Chris Sotomayor, Carmen Carnero, et. al.
- Best Soap Opera – All-New X-Men, by Brian Michael Bendis et. al.
- Silver Lining Award – Death of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy #4, by Marguerite Bennett, Juan Doe, et. al.
- Golden Retcon – X-Men: Days of Future Past
- Irene Adler Award for Most Anticipated Future Run – G. Willow Wilson onX-Men
- About Damn Time – Storm, by Greg Pak et. al.
- Cyclops Has a Good Day Award – Wolverine and the X-Men #40, by Jason Aaron, Pepe Larraz, et. al.
- Best Listeners of Any Podcast Ever – YOU**
CLASSIC CORBEAUS (for older X-material covered in the podcast during 2014)
- Harvey and Janet Award for Best Walk-On – The staff and guests of the Heartbreak Hotel
- Lost Treasure – Beauty and the Beast, by Ann Nocenti, Don Perlin, et. al.
- Sure, Why Not? – The Leprechauns of Cassidy Keep
- Still the Best Issue After All These Years – Uncanny X-Men vol. 1 #137
*Did you know you can just straight-up make up your own awards and give them to whomever you want? The Internet is awesome, y’all.
**LOOK! IT’S A COLORING CONTEST!
Listeners, while we love you dearly, we do not love you quite enough to make and mail all roughly ten-thousand of you your own Corbeaus. If you want a Corbeau of your very own, you’ve got two options:
1) Make your own, using the art below. We officially certify that it will be official and the Real Deal, and if anyone challenges you on that, we will glare meaningfully in their direction.
2) Show us your coloring skills. That’s right. It’s a CORBEAU COLORING CONTEST. Color the following image using in any medium you want: digital art, crayons, spray-painted macaroni–the sky is the limit. E-mail us a picture of your work at xplainthexmen(at)gmail(dot)com, with the subject line CORBEAU COLORING CONTEST, by
January 14 January 21. The listener whose Corbeau comes closest to the transcendent perfection of its namesake will receive a physical Corbeau–glitter glue and all–to hoard privately or share with their remaining nine-thousand-odd peers at their discretion.
Alternately, Rachel made this in Blingee. Use it as you see fit:
Well, this seems right up my alley. Time to get crackin’!
As a side-note, when googling “Doctor Peter Corbeau,” this was the second result. Even over the Marvel Wikia!
Best part of this panel? Professor X admiring Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau’s guns.
Be fair: We’re *all* admiring Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau’s guns.
I’m trying to think of a Claremont-ian thought bubble to add to it. “I’ve always thought of Dr. Corbeau as a brilliant colleague and respected peer. But seeing him now like this, in his element — I’m appreciating him in ways I never have before.”
I need an Orzechowski font.
I’ll never forget that the Leprecauns were the first characters to reveal that Wolverine’s name is Logan.
Important question: Are we allowed to enter the contest multiple times, or do we have to choose our best effort to put forward, like the Sophie’s Choice of glitter glue on cardstock?
You can enter the contest as many times as you want.
I guess this came out before the Battle of the Atom crossover.