In which we begin at the beginning: everything clicks with #3, Professor Xavier is a jerk, Magneto is a fearless fashionista, Cyclops gets a name, Jean Grey has a chronic case of the Silver Age, and allegorical diversity is not enough.
- Mutant genetics and taxonomy
- Practical semantics of “X-Men”
- Charles Xavier’s equally dubious ethics and decorating choices
- Superhero couture of the Atomic Age
- Why Cyclops can’t control his powers
- The miracle of comic-book magnetism
- A problematic analogy
- X-books for beginners
- Snow grenades
- The word “yaybo”
- The mystery of the ubiquitous plaid suit
You can find a visual companion to the episode – and links to recommended reading – on our blog.