Listen to the episode here.
Tag Archive for movies
In which we release a mid-week bonus episode and generally spoil the hell out of X-Men: Apocalypse!
This episode comes courtesy of our rad Patreon subscribers. If you want to join their ranks and help keep us on the air and ad-free–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Week of May 11, 2016:
In which it is really hard to be the teenage clone of a supervillain; and Jay & Miles go to the movies.
*Pick of the Week (09:37)
Filmed at Books With Pictures in Portland, OR.
Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. These video reviews–and everything else here–are made possible by the support of our Patreon subscribers. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Come join us on Imzy!
Reviewing media here always feels like straddling a fence. On one hand, I’m a professional critic, and that’s a lens that never really goes away. On the other hand, when I’m writing or talking at xplainthexmen.com, I’m largely speaking as a fan, to other fans; and my considerations change accordingly. Sometimes, if I’m lucky, those perspectives line up, and everything is smooth sailing.
Other times, it’s X-Men: Apocalypse.
Week of February 17, 2016:
In which we are not impressed with Extraordinary X-Men (but enjoy its art); and finally weigh in on a recent theatrical release (because you demanded it).
- Extraordinary X-Men #7 (00:29)
- Deadpool (film) (04:46)
*Pick of the Week: Blind Onion Pizza (08:45)
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. These video reviews–and everything else here–are made possible by the support of our Patreon subscribers. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!
Listen to the episode here.
THE 2015 SUPER DOCTOR ASTRONAUT PETER CORBEAU AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN X-CELLENCE
- Best X-Writer – Dennis Hopeless
- Best X-Artist – Mike Norton
- Best X-Colorist – Jordie Bellaire
- Best Soap Opera – Inferno
- Irene Adler Award for Most Anticipated Upcoming Book or Series – X-Men ’92 ongoing
- Harvey and Janet Award for Best Walk-On – Falcon Pirate (Wolverines #1)
- About Damn Time – Iceman comes out (All-New X-Men #40 and X-Men #600)
- Cyclops Has a Good Day Award – Uncanny X-Men #600
- Shameless Pandering – X-Men ’92
- MetaCorbeau for Exemplary Use of Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau in a Comic Book – Al Ewing (Mighty Avengers #8)
- Best Ongoing X-Series – X-Force (w: Si Spurrier; a: various)
- Rising Star – Wolverine (Laura Kinney)
- Best Withering Sneers* – Kristafer Anka
- The Didn’t-Fit-Into-Any-Other-Categories-and-Isn’t-Technically-an-X-Book-but-We-Wanted-to-Give-It-an-Award-Anyway Award – Siege (w: Kieron Gillen, a: Filipe Andrade)
- Still the Best Listeners of Any Podcast, Ever – YOU. Again.**
*Kris Anka owns this category so thoroughly that, in the name of fairness, he will be disqualified starting in 2016; at which point the name of this category will officially change to the Kristafer Anka Award for Best Withering Sneer in an X-Book.
**Seriously. We may be a wee bit biased; but honestly, you’re just wildly unfair to the competition.
CLASSIC CORBEAUS (for older X-material covered in the podcast during 2015)
- Buried Treasure – Fallen Angels
- You Tried – Magneto (New Mutants)
- Jack Kirby Award for Best Intersection of Weird and Epic in a Single Character Design – Walter Simonson (Archangel, X-Factor)
- Improbably Endearing Moppet – Franklin Richards
- High Bar Award – Bill Sienkiewicz (New Mutants)
- Most Heroic Hair – Alan Davis
- Most Organized Supervillain – Cameron Hodge
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR AMAZING GUEST X-PERTS:
- KYLE YOUNT
- Previously on R&MXtX-M:
- Every episode from 58 on, ’cause he’s the producer!
- But you can also hear his voice in Episode 80 – For the Mutant Who Has Everything…
- …and Episode 85 – Secret Convergence on Infinte Podcasts, Part 9
- LOGAN BONNER
- ELLE COLLINS
- CHRIS SIMS
LINKS & FURTHER READING:
In which Jay and Miles finally X-Plain some Excalibur; Kyle interviews the X-Perts; Logan gets up-close and personal with the X-Men; Elle casts Excalibur; Chris X-Plains Santa Claus; and you are still the best listeners of any podcast, ever.
- Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn
- Christmas at the X-Mansion
- The best hair in the Marvel Universe
- The not particularly secret origins of Excalibur
- Mojoverse anxiety dreams
- Captain Britain (Brian Braddock)
- Sexiest Nightcrawler
- Technet (and several of its members)
- Omniversal Majestrix Opal Luna Saturnine
- The Special Executive
- Mutant intersectionality
- Why we chose the X-Men
- Favorite X-Spinoffs
- Our podcast-guest wish list
- The theoretical cast of an Excalibur movie
- Our ideal X-lineups
- Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men
- The Second Annual Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau Awards for Excellence in X-Cellence
- Marvel Holiday Special 1991
- Santa Claus
- The true meaning of Christmas
You can find a visual companion to this episode on our blog!
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is 100% ad-free and listener supported. If you want to help support the podcast–and unlock more cool stuff–you can do that right here!