Listen to the episode here.
LINKS & FURTHER READING
- ON THE PODCAST:
- Episode 6 – Days of Future Whatever was our first delve into the X-Men cinematic universe.
- You can learn more about Apocalypse in Episode 64 – Ski Lodge of Apocalypse; and Episode 88 – Just Before Dawn.
- You can hear Paul O’Brien–not Kieran Shiach, as we stated in the episode–explain Kang the Conqueror in Episode 85 – Secret Convergence on Infinite Podcasts: Complex Continuity.
- AT THE MOVIES:
- Jay’s 2014 review of X-Men: Days of Future Past
- Jay’s (spoiler-free) review of X-Men: Apocalypse
- If video’s more your style, we also briefly discussed X-Men: Apocalypse (again, spoiler-free) over here.
- EVERYWHERE ELSE:
- Cast Party is an ongoing series where the ever-splendid Elle Collins casts (and recasts) comic-book movies:
- You, too, can own your very own super stylin’ Elle Was Right t-shirt!
I checked the Elle casts. Some choices are great, but… Sorry, buds, the one and only cast for Longshot will ever be Ewan McGregor, no matter his age! Have you met anybody else with such a joy spirit and still that subtle melancholy?
*whew!* Okay forgive me guys, I have just mainlined like 92 hours of Xplain over the last two weeks. And looming ominously like the booming voice of a Claremontian narrator has been the title change, which I thought boded ill for the two voices in my head. Thankfully I got to episode 89 last night, I’m so glad Miles didn’t F up, or Jay wasn’t pulled away by other projects/work. I love you guys so much. As a kid who grew up with the 90’s cartoon, was introduced to comics with the Ultimate Universe, then powered through 1963-2003 of Uncanny in college when Marvel released 40 years of comics in pdf form on one cd, I love flashing back to all of my college years feels and my unabashed love affair with the X-men. Thank you for doing what you do, and for not recasting Jay. Keep being the one of the best podcasts out there!
Speaking of new and exciting Four Horsemen, I have to give a shout out to the versions in the Facebook browser game Marvel: Avengers Alliance (Which was nearly half X-Men for a long time). Rogue is Famine, Beast is Pestilence, X-23 is War, and Iceman is Death. There’s no real story to speak of, but I appreciate the choices and the character designs are really quite remarkable.
I love it whenever you guys give Kieran and Helena a shoutout. Of the podcasts I was introduced to via SCOIP, they were the ones that really stuck. It makes me wish that I was financially in a better position to be a Patreon contributor because Journey Into Musicals sounds like it’s going to be amazing.
I didn’t make the BB connection with 1st Class, probably because they’re not all walking in a straight line. But now that you’ve brought it up that tune will be in my head for days. Between that & the Mimi my days are filled with the happiest whistlings of my youth thanks to you…
The poster tagline for the original X-men movie was “Trust a few. Fear the rest.” Um isn’t that the exact opposite of the X-men philosophy?
Your mention of the retcon where Apocalypse showing up when the Fantastic Four were confronting Rama-Tut with the retcon of Doctor Strange’s astral form being there made me remember that you missed one additional retcon guest star: the West Coast Avengers who were also there, as elaborated at http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2007/04/meet-me-at-sphinx-part-3-west-coast.html
Just think, retroactively, that Fantastic Four issue is probably the first huge Marvel crossover event!