As Mentioned in Episode 13 – Last Stand on the Moon

Listen to the podcast here!

P.S. We have some rad new stuff in our store, including dark-background Magneto Made Some Valid Points shirts and Chris Haley’s spiffy new YAYBO! design! Go buy shirts so we can buy comics!

Haley_Yaybo_Shirt

1. Sam Williams says:

Does Kitty’s shirt say “BITCH” in sequins?

2. WizarDru says:

A great episode, again, guys. Like Miles, when I picture the X-Men, it’s the Byrne/Austin version I see (and I think Austin’s influence is highly underrated…compare Byrne’s work elsewhere to see the difference).

I’m glad you point out that the best way to read this is in the context of the time it was written. I remember what a bombshell it was. This was 1980, after all: characters dying in comics was NOT A THING. Not like this, anyways. Jean’s sacrifice and the emotional impact of the story was a gut punch that readers didn’t expect.

THIS is the Scott Summers I think of: the leader, finding his way, growing beyond Professor X into his own man, but who suffers great tragedy. Not the neo-Fascist Extinction Squad dude running around the MU today. I don’t even know that guy.

• lastplaneout says:

I think that present-day Militant Scott is one of the many in-story tragedies that spins out the Dark Phoenix Saga. How can a guy who has dealt with the deaths Jean/Madelyne/Jean and a never 100% healthy relationship with Emma come out unscathed? I’ve always thought that the “I don’t even know him anymore” sentiment was precisely the point.

Of course, whether that makes for consistently good reading is another issue entirely.

3. Mick says:

Fantastic episode guys!! Do you know where I could find a TPB of Dark Phoenix Saga that is printed on newsprint? I hate when old comics are printed on glossy paper. Thank You! -M-

• Rachel says:

The Essential volumes are on newsprint, but they’re also black-and-white. I’d start by checking with your LCS.

4. NewtypeS3 says:

Fantastic episode. I knew I was in for a good one when the two chosen images for Jean and Scott being all… er… Jean-and-Scott-y made me tear up without context beyond those pages.

Having read issue 137 immediately after your guys’ episode (rather than come to it organically in my re-read) might have removed some of the emotional impact, but it is still an incredibly powerful book.

You guys really did give this one the treatment it deserved – and man. Poor Cyclops. I wonder if his current time as a “Mutant Renegade” is some sort of psychotic break after one too many failures in life.

Or a mid-life crisis.

5. Carl says:

A subtle, SF touch by Claremont affirming the alien locale of the system Dark Phoenix destroys: “They see the light first…ten minutes after leaving the murdered star.” Had it been Earth, it would have been eight minutes.

6. David M says:

It’s completely a side issue, but the picture of Ben Grimm having got out of the bath made me realise how much ‘Good Ben’ art there is. Bath tubs, robes, etc. Thanks!

7. Tigger11 says:

Just started listening to the podcast, someone on poptards listed you as a good listen so catching up. First of all before I get in trouble, I love issue #137 have since I bought it at the corner 7-11 store back in 1980. HOWEVER, despite Rachel’s great love of him, the issue shows Cyclops is the poor leader of the X-Men that Chuck thinks he is. He is teleported to an area he has never been to with 7 people he has trained with alot facing an equal number of Imperial Guard (8) and virtually the first thing he does is split them into two groups, and not even along a clever line. The X-Men fighting as a team are virtually unbeatable, splitting them up was Scott’s idea and really a stupid idea. I mean even if he were going to split them up 4 of the original 5 as a group and the 4 new X-Men would have made more sense. Beast doesnt bring alot to the group of Collosus, Storm and Wolverine, however he could have helped out Cyclops, Marvel Girl and Angel quite a bit.